THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF SLEEP HYGIENE FOR ADULTS
1. Establish a regular bedtime and waking time.
2. If you are in the habit of taking naps, do not exceed 45 minutes of daytime sleep.
3. Avoid excessive alcohol ingestion four hours before bedtime, and do not smoke.
4. Avoid caffeine six hours before bedtime. This includes coffee, tea and many sodas, as well as chocolate.
5. Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods four hours before bedtime.
6. Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
7. Use comfortable, inviting bedding.
8. Find a comfortable sleep temperature setting and keep the room well ventilated.
9. Block out all distracting noise and eliminate as much light as possible.
10. Reserve your bed for sleep and sex, avoiding its use for work or general recreation.
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF SLEEP HYGIENE FOR CHILDREN
1. Establish a regular time to sleep and wake up
2. If you are in the habit of taking naps, do not exceed 45 minutes of sleep during the day
3. Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol intake four hours before bedtime
4. Avoid caffeine consumption six hours before bedtime. This includes coffee, tea, and various soft drinks, as well as chocolate
5. Avoid heavy, spicy, or sweet foods, four hours before bedtime
6. Get regular exercise, but not just before going to bed
7. Use comfortable and pleasant bedding
8. Find a pleasant temperature level and keep the room well ventilated
9. Block out any noise that causes distraction and eliminate brightness as much as possible
10. Reserve your room to sleep. Avoid using it for work or general recreation.
WHEN TO SEEK THE HELP OF A SLEEP SPECIALIST
- Ventilatory disorders during sleep, such as snoring or sleep apnea.
- Excessive daytime drowsiness
- Tiredness on waking (often more than when going to bed)
- Abnormal movements during sleep, namely of the legs
- Frequent insomnia
- Somnambulism (sleepwalking)
- Sudden loss or lack of strength, triggered by emotions
- Bruxism (grinding the teeth during sleep)
- When suffering from other pathologies can be associated with sleep disorders: obesity, diabetes, hypertension, loss of libido, etc.
19, March 2021