WORLD ASTHMA DAY 2021
Asthma Myths and Truths
It is not true that:
- Asthma is a childhood disease
- Asthma is infectious
- Asthma sufferers should not exercise
- Asthma is only controllable with high-dose steroids.
The truth is:
- Asthma can occur at any age (in children, adolescents, adults and the elderly)
- Asthma is not infectious. However, viral respiratory infections can cause asthma attacks. In children, asthma is often associated with allergy, but asthma that begins in adulthood is less often allergic.
- When asthma is well controlled, asthmatics are able to exercise, including any sport
- Asthma is most often controllable with low dose inhaled steroids.
4th May 20214, May 2021